Welcome to the Every.org Community! Please introduce yourself

Please introduce yourself to the Every.org community!

Who are you?
Share a bit about yourself! Where are you from, what are your interests, what do you do?

Why do you give?
Please share why you give or what giving means to you. You can share the cause areas you care about and your favorite nonprofits, too!

What got you interested in Every.org?
Share what brought you to Every.org and this community!

What is your Every.org profile?
Link your profile!

1 Like

Who are you?
My name is Tina Roh and I’m one of the co-founders of Every.org. I’m a software engineer by trade but I wear a lot of hats at Every.org. I currently live in Southern California and grew up in Cerritos, CA in Los Angeles County. A few things I love are watching anime, yoga, and learning about personality types (such as MBTI and Enneagram).

Why do you give?
I care about trying to create equal opportunities for all. As an immigrant and someone who is here today by generosity from all sorts of people and nonprofits throughout my life, I want to do my part in giving back. My wish is for all people have access to resources and opportunities to reach success in their lives— no matter their gender, where they were born, who their parents are, the color of their skin, who they love.

I worked at Snapchat before Every.org, but wanted to focus my energy on building something I believe was socially good. Luckily, Mark reconnected with me and inspired me to start something new with him, Rahul, and Omar.

https://www.every.org/@tina

I’m excited to meet you all! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Who are you?
Hi all, I’m Omar Diab, Head of Engineering here at Every.org! I grew up in Cleveland, OH, worked in San Francisco and now live in Tokyo, Japan. I love DJing, though COVID has cut down on the live events, so lately I’ve been biking around this great city a lot!

Why do you give?

I’m inspired by activists and philanthropists I know and whose literature I’ve read, who describe giving not just as trying to do good while looking good, but as being a way to connect with others on a deeper level. By building Every.org and giving to nonprofits I believe in, I hope to strengthen my community - which as a multiracial immigrant now living as an emigrant, has become global.

I want to do more than complain about the world’s systemic issues. Up until I started Every.org with my cofounders, Rahul, Mark and Tina, I’ve dedicated my work life to education and been active in local politics. But I realized that I had never really engaged with charitable giving beyond the occasional birthday fundraiser, and realize now that so many people like myself have never been prompted to think critically about their giving.

I think giving is important not just to chip away at the world’s most difficult problems, but also to strengthen your sense of community in an increasingly isolated time; so many of our issues are at the core, coordination and communal ones, so I hope that Every.org can serve as a force to build understanding and connection.

https://www.every.org/@omar

5 Likes

Who are you? Hi I’m Tiffany! I am a new volunteer with Every.org, and I live in Seattle. I grew up in Japan, and I hope to live in Japan again for my Masters someday. I love dancing, singing, and making people laugh! I am a 0.5/10 in Mario Cart.

What got you interested in Every.org? I am a volunteer at a few nonprofits in the Seattle area, and it has been a passion of mine to get to “know” people. Volunteering led me to get to know all sorts of various people’s backgrounds, and that connection there led me to want to help organizations of all categories.

Volunteering at Every.org does just that and allows me to volunteer for many nonprofit organizations at once trying to make people’s lives better for people with all sorts of backgrounds!

Why do you give? There are people that need the money more than I do, and monetary support is what organizations really want. I wish I could give more, but as I advance my career I am hopeful that I will be able to!

https://www.every.org/@tiffanynakamitsu let’s connect!

5 Likes

Who are you?
Hello! My name is Kenny and I am one of the engineers at Every.org.
I was born in Hong Kong, grew up in Toronto, then moved to SF to start my career in tech. I’ve recently moved back to Toronto and am hoping to stay here for the foreseeable future. I’m currently into making delicious things: cooking, baking, brewing coffee/tea, and making cocktails!

Why do you give?
I’ve had a relatively fortunate life (loving family, healthy, financially stable). Seeing others who are not afforded the same opportunities because of factors outside of their control is heartbreaking and feels so unfair. I want to do what I can to help and change people’s lives for the better. Then hopefully those people will be put into a position where they can help others and the whole world becomes a better place!

I spend the majority of my waking hours thinking about and working on my job. I wanted to put all this energy towards something that directly brings positive change to people’s lives and the world.

Before joining Every.org, I was thinking about creating a product that lowers the barrier to philanthropy for a while. I even started going around to some of my close friends and pitching them ideas. One day, I came across Every.org and it basically did everything I wanted and some things I hadn’t even thought about yet. They were also looking for an engineer to join their team, so it was perfect!

@Kenny

2 Likes

Who are you?
Hi everyone, Rahul here :slight_smile: I’m one of the cofounders of Every.org. I’m also the head of Product - please do share under the Feedback topic any feedback, comments, or ideas you have! And, thank you so much for being a part of Every.org :heart:

I grew up and currently live in Seattle, WA. Per the stereotype, I love hiking and otherwise being outside during the few months while the weather is nice and curling up with a good book or video game (more likely XD) during the rest of the year. I also enjoy salsa dancing and baking!

Why do you give?
I give because I have been very fortunate, and I want to help alleviate the profound inequality and injustice we see in our society. People and our planet are suffering, and they shouldn’t be.

I believe that almost everyone wants to do good and support the people and communities around them. However, it can be difficult to understand where and how to take action on the things that you care about. I started Every.org with Tina, Omar, and Mark because I believe that by connecting people to the causes and organizations they care about, people will be happier and the world will be made better.

Follow me at https://www.every.org/@rahul!

3 Likes

Who are you?

Hi! I’m Santiago, one of the engineers at Every.org.
I am from Argentina and I like nerd things and sailing since I started taking classes last year, which allowed me to get in contact with nature more often.

I found every.org after a lot of searching for places that are using technology to bring more good, respect and opportunities to the world.
I consider myself super lucky for founding every.org and getting to know more and more about different nonprofits.

While I was way more inclined to environmental and nature causes at first, I’ve been inspired to grow more on the other causes.

You can see my profile @santiher

3 Likes

Who are you?
My name is Shenita and I’m currently a high school student living in Vancouver, BC. I’m really interested in pursuing a path that allows me to make a difference (as cliché as it is!)

Currently, I’m exploring the intersection of technology, business, and social impact. In my spare time, I enjoy listening to podcasts (Reply All is my ALL TIME favourite), learning the basics of web development (I suck, but it’s incredibly fun hehe), and overusing parentheses :’)

Why do you give?
This is pretty selfish, but I really believe that I wouldn’t be able to live a “good” life if I didn’t put my best efforts into making the world a better place. There’s only a certain point of “fulfillment” that I think I could reach by achieving my more materialistic (?) goals, so giving seems the obvious solution to my woes. The idea of using my privilege + my platform to do good makes me feel good!

I really, really love how it’s been able to build a community of passionate, supportive people. In addition to making donating to charities a more “simple” process, it also makes it a whole lot more fun! Logging into the website and seeing new activity and the sheer amount of excitement about causes (I would’ve never heard of otherwise) really gives me my daily dose of serotonin. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

You can find it here!

4 Likes

Welcome @shenita! It’s super cool that you’ve had that realization about life fulfillment so early on— I personally didn’t come to that realization until 3-4 years into my career. (I also overuse parentheses :laughing:) Excited to have you here and to build out the community of passionate, supportive people with you!

2 Likes

Who are you?
:wave:t4: Hi everyone! I’m Franceska (Fran, Frannnie/y), Growth Manager at Every.org. My background is actually in mental health and therapy in the nonprofit space and I decided to transition to the development and management side recently. I’ve grown up in Southern California and continue to stay in the Los Angeles area. Fun fact, the only time I’ve broken a bone was tripping over a hurdle during a track meet my sophomore year in high school.

Why do you give?
Working in the nonprofit space for most of my career has really showed me how important funding is for so many nonprofits. I’ve experienced first hand some amazing organizations close their doors due to limited resources, so if there are ways I can support whether giving my time or giving my resources I will. I also have to give a significant amount of credit to my mom who has always modeled how to be a generous person no matter what.

Having my experience in the nonprofit it was refreshing to know there was someone/people who saw the obstacles (funding and admin challenges) nonprofits had to overcome just to get to the work they really want to do, changing the world for the better. I also find the concept of providing nonprofits with the best tech for free revolutionary especially in a space where technology isn’t emphasized or seen as a priority.

You can find me here: https://www.every.org/@franceska.rolda
Let’s connect!

3 Likes

Yay, welcome Shenita! Glad to have you here :slight_smile:

1 Like

My name is Larry Bassett and I live in Central Virginia in a small city on the James River. I was somewhat surprised to find myself moving to this Bible Belt location 17 years ago to live in a downtown that was beginning to revitalize. I am somewhat surprised to find myself still living here at the age of 74 expecting I will probably finish out my life here. Rather than tell you about myself with words I will encourage those of you in the US, Great Britain, Germany or Japan to look for the documentary The Pacifist on Amazon prime which tells something about my story.

4 Likes

Wow! I’ll have to check it out. I hope you have reason to shave your beard soon. Welcome to every.org Larry!

Who are you?
Hey everyone, I’m Mark, co-founder and CEO here at Every.org. I was born in Minneapolis and raised by an artist and an engineer who both imparted an appreciation for the creation process. I enjoy going to the beach, exploring the California outdoors with my boyfriend, and making, sharing, and eating ice cream :slight_smile:

Why do you give?
RBG said that to live a meaningful life means “doing something outside yourself” and I feel so lucky to be participating in missions ranging from tackling climate change to housing homeless families through my giving. Giving is one of the most reliable ways to make a better, more just world. There are so many amazing nonprofits that have proven impact - and I believe even more that are waiting for people to give them a chance, to try out an innovative, risky approach that takes into account new perspectives and insights.

Talking with my friends and cofounders! After working at Pinterest and C3.ai I knew I enjoyed building top-notch, secure products that leverage AI, but I wanted to work on something with a more meaningful outcome. I’ve always given a lot personally, but had never before discussed it much with others. The moment I started talking with people and nonprofits partnering to tackle the big problems, I started getting inspired and finding so many more missions I wanted to be a part of. Sharing made the entire process of giving so much more rewarding, and I want every.org to bring that experience to everyone and get the world addicted to giving back.

every.org/@mark

2 Likes

I guess someone told you that I cut my beard every time they cut the US military budget! Haven’t cut it in a long time.

3 Likes

Welcome Larry! Will have to check the documentary out!

I am kind of a broken record trying to let people know about the one hour documentary titled The Pacifist which is available on Amazon prime. When you make a movie, you kind of want people to watch it! And it turns out the world is filled with movie makers hoping that their film is going to be the one that goes viral!

1 Like

Hello fellow givers,

My name is Ethan Kennerly. I make a game. I heal a thousand children.

Making games prompts me to ask: How can we win?

GiveWell.org spreadsheets answered most of my questions.
I feel grateful that making a game heals a fraction of humanity.

GivingMultiplier.org asked me to create an account on Every.
I’m encouraged to meet this community that praises healing.

https://www.every.org/@ethan.kennerly

3 Likes

Welcome! What’s the game that you make? Would love to check it out!